Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, September 04, 2014

I'll Quit If I Don't Pass Test Says Lonsdale


Andy Lonsdale
Hereford United chairman Andy Lonsdale has said that he'll quit as chairman of the club if he doesn't pass the FA's fit and proper person test.

Lonsdale was questioned by Andrew Easton on BBC Hereford and Worcester.

Easton mentioned that MP Jesse Norman had suggested that Lonsdale might not pass the test to run the club and shouldn't be chairman.

Easton - Is that something you accept?

Lonsdale - No I don't accept it and I won't step down. I'm not a director of Hereford United FC. I have completed the fit and proper test and I'm awaiting the outcome. I'm currently a director of three companies.

Easton - There is clearly lack of support for the current regime which is directly affecting the club.

Lonsdale - Yes it is. I think the fans want to see the club fold and start again. We've spent significent funds on keeping the club alive to retain the heritage and will continue to do so.

Easton - I don't think that's fair, I think the fans want a creditable club that performs and when yourself and Mr Agombar took over, everyone was quite excited about this businessman that was going to plough money in and turn the fortunes around but quite the opposite has happened.

Lonsdale - Not really, how can you say that? We've paid most of the football creditors. I believe they will be paid, if they're not paid already, they will be paid very shortly. The safety on the ground was cancelled by the Council the day before the Help for Heroes game and the Cardiff friendly. We've had to spend significent funds to get the ground upto scratch. We've had to rebuild the team because the players left because they hadn't been paid. A lot of the debts incurred by the club are in the past.

Easton - Part of the takeover was to take on some of those debts and I think that's what people thought would be job number one. But that just didn't happen, that's where the confusion lies.

Lonsdale - The confusion lies in what they didn't realise was that the petition for the ex-manager was to be heard in court on June 2nd. We didn't sign the paperwork until the 27th (May). We then had to get an adjournment. We were reluctant really to pay any football creditors until we knew the outcome from that.

Easton - People have become very upset with not getting their wages. If any of those who are owed money are listening now why should they believe you?

Lonsdale - Basically because we have paid a vast amount of money, a lot of people have been paid, it's only a minority. The supporters and Mr Norman talk about a phoenix club. A phoenix club wouldn't have paid anybody, they wanted to club to go into liquidation and start from stratch. 

Easton - Do you accept you could have done things slightly differently to get the fans on-side?

Lonsdale - Yes, of course. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Easton - Have you passed the Fit and Proper test?

Lonsdale - I've completed it and I've sent it off. I should know any day now.

Easton - Are you confident you will pass?

Lonsdale - Yes I am.

Easton - If you don't?

Lonsdale - Then I'll step down.