Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Thursday, September 04, 2014

MP Jesse Norman Puts Spotlight On Hereford United In Parliament


Hereford MP Jesse Norman led a debate in Parliament this afternoon entitled 'The future of non-league football'.


Later Norman was questioned on BBC Hereford and Worcester.

"What I was trying to do was put the situation at Hereford United under a spotlight.

"As you know the club is hanging by a thread with insolvency proceedings pending and due to be decided by a court on Monday.

"But I also wanted to highlight many of the good things going on in Herefordshire in the semi-professional and grass-roots game and also to raise quite a lot of wider issues about the transparancy and the governance and the financial viability of the non-league game.

"I said I thought it was important for the FA to look at the question of whether Mr Lonsdale (chairman of Hereford United) himself satisfied the fit and proper test.

"We know that three previous directors, Mr Agombar, his Son and Mr Gambrill failed the fit and proper person test. We didn't hear it until weeks and weeks after that was known by the FA and I criticised the FA for not making those results public because they might have materially influenced the way in which creditors behaved to the company's voluntary admistration arrangements.

"So in closing I said we have a situation now with the club's chairman prima facie fails the fit and proper test and there's a further question as to whether he should be in that position.

"I'm trying to get the authorites to do their job properly. I'm concerned that some of the activities they have been doing have been acting against the best interests of fans and supporters in particular those of my club Hereford United."