Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Monday, May 21, 2012

Nicolau Happy To Be Versatile


Former Bulls loanee Nicky Nicolau says that this summer will be harder than ever for players to get deals with clubs.

The former Arsenal trainee believes his versatility works in his favour when he agreed a new deal with Lincoln, telling the Lincolnshire Echo:

"I can play left-back, left midfield or even in the centre of the park. I am basically three players in one and I suppose when the club has not got much money, then you look at players who can fill a variety of positions.

"Football is going through a particularly tough time at the moment and there is not much money out there at all. The amount of players being let go by teams at all levels is unreal. It's going to be really competitive among the players who haven't got clubs sorted out."

The 28 year old played in less than half of the Imps' matches last season, but is expected to feature more this season with boss David Holdsworth having to contend with the loss of the club's £225,000 Football League payment, meaning he will be operating a more compact squad.

Meanwhile, Byron Anthony has taken a swipe at Bristol Rovers boss Mark McGhee for not giving him an opportunity to show the manager what he could do, telling BBC Bristol:

"He said he would give everyone an opportunity but he didn't give me the chance to show what I could do. He didn't see me play or know me as a player, but I'll take it on the chin and move on.

"I've got my representatives speaking to clubs so hopefully we'll have some news in the coming weeks. This situation makes you thicker skinned and a better person. You move on a stronger man,"