Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Incredible says Hess

Gillingham manager Andy Hessenthaler has given his reaction to the nine goal thriller at Priestfield this evening.

"I'm speechless really," said Hessenthaler.

"It was incredible.

"I've never been involved in a game like it, I've got to say, but I'm delighted we won the game. It was just a crazy game - I don't think I'll be sleeping well tonight because it'll all be going around in my head.

"I feel for Jamie [Pitman] because they've come away from home, scored four goals and not won the game. It's a crazy game of football but that is football. Unfortunately when things aren't going for you they aren't going for you. He'll be proud of his team tonight, they did ever so well, but I'm also proud of my team because we showed a lot of character tonight, to come back from the early start.

"We knew that they'd come and play Delroy down the middle and play two wide, the lad Barkhuizen's a very good player.

"All of a sudden you think we can get back into this and we did. At 4-4 you're thinking we're going to get a point and then the rest is as you've seen, we've given a penalty away, heart in mouth time, I couldn't believe it.

"They're going to be disappointed that Paulo wasn't sent off, but we went to Port Vale two weeks ago and their player should have been sent off, but wasn't even booked. Paulo's stood up and saved the penalty but that's football, these things happen."