NEXT HOME GAME - TBC
NEXT AWAY GAME - SUPPORTERS XI ARE PLAYING WORCESTER AT MALVERN ON SUNDAY AUGUST 3rd AT 3.00pm

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Facey to be Sponsored by FunBus

Hereford United's new striker, Delroy Facey, is to be sponsored by the FunBus for the coming season.

The 'FunBus' are a group of Hereford United supporters who travel to virtually all away games.


Bulls To Face Real Murcia

The Bulls will face local side Real Murcia during their trip to Spain in July.

The game will take place on Wednesday July 20th, but an exact location and time is yet to be decided. It will be the Bulls second friendly after their trip to Ludlow, but the hosts will be starting their pre-season campaign with the match after winning their Spanish third tier League last term. They had been a top flight side just three years before.


News Round-Up

Northampton have signed midfielder Aaron Davies on a two year deal following his release by Peterboro. Manager Gary Johnson also signed him for the Posh and Yeovil. Bradford have appointed Wayne Allison to coach their new developmental side. He was previously coaching at Tranmere before budget cuts saw him made redundant.

AFC Wimbledon have confirmed the sale of midfielder Steven Gregory to Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee. The 24 year old has spent the last two years with the Wombles since arriving from Hayes and Yeading. Accrington are trialling defenders Chris Lynch and Nik Kudiersky. The young pair were both released from Burnley earlier in the summer.


Snapper to return for Stansfield cricket match

A charity cricket match at Eastnor to raise funds for the Adam Stansfield fund is to take place on Sunday July 10th.

Current Edgar Street residents penciled in to take part are Chairman David Keyte, Manager Jamie Pitman, Ian Rogerson, John Layton and Community Officer Jamie Edwards.

Other listed for appearances are Dudley Tyler, Billy Tucker, Steve Emery, Gary Stevens, Kevin Rose, Mel Pejic, Steve Guinan, Matt Baker, Rob Elmes, Matt Clarke and John Snape while Dixie McNeil (a very useful bat in his day) and Tony Byrne have both expressed an interest in attending.

For a donation of just £10, fans can have the chance to meet the players and take tea with them. Places for the fans package are limited and you are asked to register your interest by mailing sport@herefordtimes.com

Proceeds will go to the fund of the former Bulls' player Adam Stansfield who died so tragically last year aged just 31.



Bartlett Will Miss Kevan

Adam Bartlett has spoken to BBC Hereford & Worcester about Dave Kevan.

The stopper says Kevan deserves his new job with Stoke City, but he will miss him:

"Dave was a fantastic coach and a fantastic guy who was always full of smiles and he was always bubbly every day. That rubs off on people as sometimes you could come in and think 'I don't feel great today' and then you would see Dave with that big smile on his face.

"We wish him all the best as Dave deserves to be in and around a Premier League club and he will be fantastic for Stoke City."

Bartlett also spoke about last season's poor start:

"Too much emphasis was put on the Crewe game and we went into that like it was an FA Cup final. We won the game and it was as if we felt we had achieved something but there were still 45 games to go."

"From the Crewe game it obviously went drastically down hill for the next 10-12 games. Jamie took over and he did ever so well so I am looking forward to what his ideas are throughout pre-season.

"We are looking forward to giving it a much better go this year."


Pell Leaves The Pirates

Former Bulls loanee Harry Pell has told his Twitter followers he has left Bristol Rovers.

The 19 year old played seven times for the Bulls last term before being recalled to the Memorial Ground, but after a couple of starts he found himself back on the bench and has opted to move on. He told his followers:

"Just want 2 say thankyou to every gas head for your support over the season.. Receiving young player of da yer was a life achievement for me... But me and my family have decided it's best for my future if I moved on.. I hope you understand and thankyou again bless you."

It is currently unclear whether the Pirates will be seeking a fee for the midfielder.


News Round-Up

Burton are set for a boost after midfielder Jacques Maghoma indicated he would stay at the club after all. The 23 year old was expected to move abroad with his contract expiring, but is now expected to sign a new two year deal. Port Vale have confirmed receiving all the necessary documentation for Mark Sims to become a director, and he will now due the due dilligence on the club nearly a month after he was elected to the board.

Rotherham are set to sign Gillingham full back John Nutter. The 29 year old has spent the last three years with the Gills. Gillingham have signed Dover defender Matt Fish, their first signing of the summer. It is the second time boss Andy Hessenthaler has signed the former Crystal Palace youngster, having taken him to Dover in 2007.

Shrewsbury have signed released Oldham defender Reuben Hazell on a two year deal. The 32 year old spent the last four years at Boundary Park. Torquay have accepted a transfer request from striker Chris Zebroski. The 24 year old was born and lives in Swindon and wants a move closer to home. The Gulls will expect a fee for the former Millwall man.

Kettering say they will not rush former Bulls forward Moses Ashikodi back into action. He missed most of last season with a cruciate knee injury. Northampton have sold keeper Chris Dunn to Coventry for an undisclosed fee. The 23 year old was out of contract at Sixfields, with the clubs agreeing a deal.

Rotherham have signed utility man Danny Schofield on a three year deal. The 31 year old spent most of his career at Huddersfield before spells at Yeovil and Millwall. Torquay have abandoned a bid to take on released Yeovil midfielder Alex Russell as player/coach for budgetary reasons. The 34 year old is now expected to return to Bath.

Swindon have accepted a transfer request from keeper David Lucas. The 33 year old wants to return north after spending all but his two years at Swindon with Lancashire and Yorkshire clubs. He is reported to be training with Rochdale. AFC Wimbledon have accepted a bid from Gillingham for striker Danny Kedwell. The 28 year old was born in Gillingham and is yet to play in the Football League.

Burton have confirmed that they have agreed an undisclosed fee with Derby over the sale of keeper Adam Legzdins to the Rams. The 24 year old has 12 months left on his Brewers deal and the club have decided to cash in after he rejected an extended deal. Southend have confirmed the signing of Crystal Palace midfielder Aleassane N'Diaye on loan for the season.


Valentine Signs For Telford

Released Bulls full back Ryan Valentine has signed for AFC Telford for the coming season.

The Conference newcomers make Valentine the second ex-Bull to join their ranks this summer, with former loanee Craig King joining two weeks ago.

The pair are likely to play when the Bulls travel to the New Bucks Head on July 26th.

Boss Andy Sinton told the BBC: "He brings a wealth of experience. Ryan had offers elsewhere around the country but he wanted to stay local. He's keen to get back into the Football League and he wants to do that with us."


Pitman considers Narrowing the Edgar Street Pitch

According to Ian Pritchard, whose Mowtech company looks after the Edgar Street pitch, manager Jamie Pitman is considering making the pitch a bit narrower.

"The manager wants the pitch brought in to 70 yards, six foot either side from where it was last year," Pritchard told the Hereford Times.

Pritchard doesn't say why Pitman is thinking about the change but one effect would be to improve the supporters view from both the Len Weston stand and the Merton Meadow stand.


HUISA in October 1997

Here's the sixth HUISA newsletter in our short series from 1997. This one was written in late October.

Welcome to yet another thrilling installment in the life and times of Hereford United. Hands up all those who think we can still win the Conference?? Hands up all those who don't think we are going to go bust??

HUISA has continued to grow steadily in recent weeks. Membership is now 178 (as at 26th October) and the insert in TB has brought us many new members. Our thanks to Nigel/Elaine and Chris!!

Liaison Committee

The latest Liaison Committee meeting with Graham Turner took place at Edgar Street on 6th October. The following is a summary of the main events (and what an exciting time we all had as well):

Telford: The Club received an official complaint from the Directors of Telford FC about the idiots who were throwing stones at the Telford keeper. Fortunately the Ref is not going to include it in his report of the Club could have been fined. I trust no HUISA member was involved. From what I understand there were only a couple of people involved, but if anybody knows who they were, please have a word in their shell like will you. I can just see Bill Adolfson laughing his head off. The last thing we want is to prove that idiot right and get ourselves banned from away games.

Youth Team: GT explained his reasoning for withdrawing the Youth Team from the League, which was partly to save money and partly to save them from the "battles" their games were increasingly resembling. The intention now is to spend more time working on their technique and the competitive edge will be drawn from their inclusion in the squad/team for Reserves fixtures. Whilst he intends to continue with the Youth Policy and the Club's Centre of Excellence, this will be with reduced numbers, again with he focus on quality. GT estimates that he can save about 50% of the budget with the new approach; withdrawing from the league however, cost the Club �0. We have entered a Team in the Midland Youth Cup and got a plum tie away to ........ Grimsby Town! Peter Boulton the Youth team Physio paid �0 out of his own pocket to help meet the costs of the game, in which the boys did magnificent and won 3-1. Stand up and take a bow Pete!! In the next round we play Aston Villa or Port Vale away.

Player Update: GT was meeting Andrew Quy (pronounced as in "Bridge over the River...), the Kettering keeper who saved them from a right hiding the other week, on 7th October with a view to offering him an 18 month contract (he has subsequently signed to the end of the season, as he can't afford to go any longer without being paid!!). He becomes the first choice keeper and Mark Gayle returns to Crewe at the end of his first month loan (he's now gone to Chesterfield). You will all know this by the time you get the Newsletter, but I thought I would give you the background anyway. Oh and by the way Quy is FA Cup-tied, so its DeBont with Macca having departed - save the bets on making the first round proper. On Milner GT is not yet convinced but is coming under some pressure from Chester for a decision. Apparently some other Club is interested in him, according to Kevin Ratcliffe. On his performance at Telford it is probably one from Saudi Arabia (where the other camels come from). His loan has now been extended for another month, which proves the point! The only offer for DeBont has come from Gateshead, who wanted to take him on loan, which he rejected. All those surprised at this, take one step forward. GT is still looking but there were no other names available at the time. With subsequent events don't expect to see any either!

Emergency Ward 10: Grayson is out for about 3 weeks, having pulled a quad muscle (whatever one of those is). McGorry and Norts may be fit for Southport (but don't bet on it) and it looks like mid-November for big Tony. We asked GT whether there was something, perhaps our training methods that were the cause of all these injuries. His response was to the effect that having discussed it with Shakey, he did not think so. Grayson did himself an hour into the game (GT complained that he should still have got his shot in), Norts caught his studs in the turf when trying to turn, McGorry's injury stems from his loss of condition whilst affected by the virus and Agana was the sort of injury what affects most Pros at some stage in their career.

Away Shirts: We can't use the red/black stripes as they have the Nationwide logos on them and the GM Vauxhall Conference people get very upset apparently. The new "Andy 3-0 Graham) Away Shirt went on sale at the Southport game (18th October), and we can only assume that the "Del Boy - Cash Only" approach to their sale was to ensure that the Club were able to pay Mark Ellis some of what they owe him. They are nice though. Mine's a (Triple) X Large one please, Mr. Ellis, sir.

Programme: We passed on the complaints received from HUISA members about the quality of the programme. Trying to be constructive we suggested that perhaps the Bengy the Bull column, could be used to keep fans informed about the goings-on behind the scenes at the Club, instead of marking us out of 10, for the quality of the support. Keith Benjamin (who got quite shirty) said that his articles were written as the "Mascot" and the intention was for it to be a "gossip column", relying on input from the fans. He saw no need to expand it beyond that, but did say that if the fans didn't like it, he would simply stop producing it! Let him know what you think, by writing to Bullseye direct.

Food Prices/Quality: Again responding to complaints received from HUISA members, we raised the issue of food quality and pricing at Edgar Street. Stadia Catering have the contract for this season and the Club, having pocketed the money, have no say on their pricing and quality policy. Its good to know they care so much about us. GT agreed to give us the details of the firm and HUISA will be writing to them to seek a review of both aspects as soon as possible. The best way of exerting pressure on them of course, is not to buy their grub. I know many members (including this Cult) have already stopped doing so.

Balls to Turner: As no member objected, HUISA has agreed to buy 20 of the Spalding Match Balls for the Club, from its funds. The cost will be �0 of thereabouts. In return as well as being extremely grateful, GT has agreed to arrange for them to be presented to the Club, on the pitch before a home game, in the near future and for a photograph and an acknowledgment to go into a subsequent programme (more PR for HUISA). If there is anybody out there who would like to be the HUISA representative, and make the presentation, (perhaps one or two of your little ones - to their favorite player) then can they contact me please, ASAP. All we would ask in return, is a modest donation to HUISA funds.

Hereford United Book: This is the one advertised in TB recently. Apparently the Chairman has now read it, knows who Hereford United are and has agreed to stock it in the Club shop (so it obviously doesn't refer to him as a Cult then). All copies sold will make �clear profit for the Club. With Christmas coming - fill your boots.

Carlsberg Suite: There was some confusion at the meeting as to just what is going on with the Carlsberg. It would appear that the new manager has agreed to pay for the improvements himself and will then pay the club a rent for its use and keep the (any) profits for himself. As at 6th October however nothing had happened so this may yet live to be another monumental commercial cock-up; time will tell. Still we can always go and drink in the Richmond Club, as he told us after the Stalybridge game!

Next Liaison Committee Meeting: Monday 10th November 1997. As always if you want us to raise any issues with GT, just contact any co-ordinator. Many thanks to those members, who brought the above issues to our notice.

FANS FORUM - 13th October 1997

A Fans Forum with the Players, will never be better timed. Immediately prior to this Forum, the news about players wages broke and I don't think I was alone in feeling just a wee bit ashamed of the abuse I gave some of them at R&D, for what was in truth a remarkable performance, in the circumstances. Its just that we didn't know at the time. Although in truth the rumour doing the rounds at R&D, that the receivers were due to be called in on Monday, was if anything worse.

The Forum was attended by Norts, Dodge, Fishlock, Tony Agana and Jenny Pitman. I estimate that around 150 fans turned up. Needless to say perhaps but financial issues dominated the meeting, and the mood of the fans was very sombre. The one real plus of the night was the very positive attitude of the players. Despite everything, they all came across as committed to the cause and actually said that if anything, the crisis had brought them closer together as a group. They even talked of winning the Conference, although I for one would settle for still being in existence, at this precise moment in time!! The realism was there for all to see however, then they talked of "hanging on for as long as they could at the Club", but accepting that they had to have one eye on a potential future employer.

The one issue that struck most present, as representing the worst aspect about the whole affair, was that neither the Chairman or indeed any of the other Directors, had had the common decency to explain to the players, why they had not been paid and when they might expect to see some of the money they were due. Peter Hill apparently had not been near the Club for almost two weeks and it was suggested that he was deliberately avoiding the Players! Think about that for a minute and ask yourself how you would react in similar circumstances. I think the Manager and Playing Staff are a credit to the Club - and yes that includes one Mr. Hargreaves (oh no I've said something nice about him - Bollox will never let me forget it!!).

I rang Peter Hill, on the Tuesday after the Forum, and sparing you all the excuses, he did admit that "perhaps he could have handled the communication with the Players a bit better, but he was a busy man". He went on to say that he had made sure that his messages had got through to the Players through Gary Watts, the Club's financial manager (????). What have we done to deserve a Chairman of this enormous stature? One other thing he did let slip in the conversation (and I have only just remembered this), was that he had been talking to Scarboro' about "players". I don't think we are buying do you? So who's he trying to flog (they are reported to be looking for a striker??). Answers on a postcard - and don't forget you read it here first!!

Next Fans Forum - To be arranged (if you have any ideas let me know, but I somehow doubt that PH will be prepared to meet us again!).

BULLS 1100 CLUB or so they're calling it)

I was invited to a meeting at HUFC on 16th October to discuss this idea. The invitation came from Keith Benjamin, who claimed that the idea was his and Tony Cole's (decent enough member of the VP Club) work. He also invited Peter Hill to the meeting, "to listen to the proposal". The fact that PH did all the talking and seemed to know the detail of the scheme in advance, suggested that its original source might not have been the Supporters after all!!!!

The idea is as follows:

To set up a Ltd. Company, shares in which would be sold to fans at �0 each. A total of 1100 shares would be sold (hence the name).
The Ltd. Co., would then lend the Club some �0,000, in return for one seat on the Board and 10% of any profit from the future sale of Edgar Street for redevelopment. (Redevelopment still being the only way to save the Club, according to PH). It was estimated that this could net the fans/investors a return of 50%, in about 2/3 years time, although this could not be guaranteed!
In addition, it was suggested that the Board of the Ltd. Co., could form a shadow or second tier Board below the main Board of the Football Club, "to give them the help they need". This second tier Board would have no executive authority.
Whilst I think the notion of the fans taking a financial stake in the Club, is sound, I expressed personal reservations about what was being proposed. Quite apart from the fact that the Fans were being asked to make an investment, some 8 times that of PH (who would retain his share-holding) himself, or indeed that of any of his Board of Directors, the "return", a completely ineffectual one vote on the Board and the rather dubious pleasure of doing all the Board's work, through the second tier (perhaps they need more "Directors" to serve sandwiches in the Boardroom, after matches) is, in my view, little short of an insult. My personal view was then and remains now that if fans were to come up with that sort of cash, they deserve a complete change at the Club. Why should we the fans, bale out the people who led the Club into the mess in the first place?

Other issues critical to the scheme had also not been made clear and would require to be so, before any fans could be asked to contribute funds. In summary these include:

If the Club were to try and sell the idea as an "investment" then they would need to disclose the true financial state of Hereford United (1939), so that potential investors could judge the risk (Ho Ho).
The Legalities of creating the Ltd. Co. and precisely who would do the work (they would have to be independent from the Club) and at what cost, had still to be resolved. These were no mere technicalities. For example, how would the Board of the new Company be formulated, who would be the Board Member at the Football Club, what would be the precise terms and mechanics of making the loan etc.? And it has subsequently been suggested that there could also be significant Capital Gains Tax problems, with the proposed approach.
The full nature of the Club's agreement with the BS Group would also have to be disclosed, so that the Ltd. Co. could know what it was getting into (10% of nothing = nothing!).
Tony Cole had prepared some comments on the proposed scheme, in advance of the meeting and these said much the same thing and also highlighted the need for further information to be disclosed. There was also a very nice comment about the Board showing some humility and taking responsibility for the crisis at the Club. I attach a copy of his notes to this Newsletter. As a result of my comment and those of Tony Cole, a further meeting was arranged for 21st October, which was intended to allow time for consultation with HUISA members and for PH to prepare a response, to the points raised.

In the light of this, whilst PH was eager to get the scheme made public, it was agreed that any publicity would merely talk about the principles of it, making clear that the details had still to be resolved and it was not yet ready to be launched. I also told Keith Benjamin and PH that HUISA's name was not to be used in this publicity, until such time as the Association had formed its view and passed that to the Club, which I intended to do at the meeting on the 21st.

Whilst it should not have come as too much of a surprise I suppose, the publicity put out by the Club about the Scheme, was grossly mis-leading. Those of you out there, that are also members of the Official Supports Club (as they are now calling themselves), should have a quiet word with Mr. Benjamin. I have been informed that kids were sending in their pocket money, in the belief that this was going to save the Club. Doesn't he have any shame??

Given the unanimous view of HUISA members expressed at our meeting on 18th October, and in response to a number of requests from members afterwards, I put out a Press Statement on 19th October, formally disassociating HUISA from the scheme. I also attach a copy of this to the Newsletter, so that members can see the full text of the comments given to the Press. For PH to trivialise our objections, as being because "it wasn't our idea" is typical of the man. To call into question our loyalty as supporters is a disgrace, but then we can expect no better I suppose!.

Subsequently neither PH nor any representative from the Supporters Club attended the second meeting on 21st October. This is disgraceful in my view, and highlights once again, PH's disregard for the views of supporters. Whilst he may have been aware, from the Press Statement, of those held by HUISA, he still had a duty, particularly to the members of the VP Club, who had put themselves out and attended the meeting at his request, to come and provide the detail of the Scheme, that he had both announced publicly and started taking money from supporters for. GT and Joan Fennessey who together with Shakey were present, had not been told that PH was not going to attend and were clearly very embarrassed. I now have copies of the minutes of that meeting which makes this point very clearly.

Association Members, voted unanimously to reject the Bull 1100 Scheme on the 18th October. Please do not subscribe to it therefore, (if indeed it gets off the ground now). Please also make a point of telling anybody you know who is thinking of subscribing to it, not to do so. Give them the facts behind it and try to persuade them to keep their money, for the time when the Club really does need it! Tell them to join HUISA! The only way we will get "Hill Out" is to make his position financially untenable!

A few other snippets of information to come out of the meeting on 16th October which will be of interest to Members are as follows:

The �0k from the BS Group is a loan which the Club has to pay back whether relocation goes ahead or not. The BS Group are charging interest on it at an undisclosed amount, but this is likely to be several points above the Bank's base rate. The BS Group may be prepared to make another �0k "loan" in return for another 25% of the relocation deal. The "London Property Developer" wanted a similar return although at least his �0k would have been a "punt" not a loan. The impression that I got of the latter deal, was that its development extended to no more than a few phone calls and PH had yet to meet the individual making the "offer". Businessman of the Year is obviously in the bag again then!!
There were two other offers in the Summer apart from that of the BS Group. One of these was from Sun Life who were prepared to pay �0k for essentially the same deal, but on more favourable terms for the Club. Some of the money would also have been a "gift" to the Football Club, not a loan. PH blames Barclays Bank for not giving the Club the two weeks they needed to complete the deal. Ask yourself the question: What Bank Manager in his/her right mind, faced with the choice between �0k and �0k, provided evidence was available of both deal, as PH claims it was, is going to refuse a cash strapped Club the time (only two weeks) it needs to bring in 50% more cash on better terms? No I don't believe it either! So why did they go for the BS Group, do you think????
All the Club's debts are due to the loss of 50% of the League Funding, the Dean Smith Tribunal, the "New Directors" not coming on Board and of course the Fans not coming through the turnstiles! (I kid you not, he said all this!). Thankfully his prudent and expert financial planning had averted a real crisis!!
The BS Group get 25% of any profit from the sale of Edgar Street for re-development, the Club gets 75%. This is after any fees and charges have been paid.
PH has resigned from Cosworth Developments for undisclosed reasons.
PH has a letter from the Football Licensing Authority stating that Edgar Street will be obsolete by 1999. He wouldn't show it to us.
It will cost at least £5m, to bring Edgar Street up to standard. I asked for sight of the professional costing to support this figure. He promised to send them to me but they must have got lost in the post. PH said we might get grants for .75m - 1m for the work.
A new stadium would cost £6m, and if the Local Authority put their name to it, 90% grants would be available - according to PH.
The Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise are owed �k each. They are preferential creditors. The Club have been repaying both at a rate of �k/7.5k per month respectively. Last month's payments were not made!
The Bank have reduced the overdraft from �0k to �5k, and the Club are at the limit. PH said that the Bank would want this repaid from the �0k, if it is raised and would then want to change the formula for agreeing the O/D (i.e. they would want to reduce it). The Chairman and other Directors have guaranteed the largest part of the O/D, so why let them get of "Andy Graham" free??
"Last week" Babcock Wines launched a winding up order, against the Club for unpaid bills of £9k, which the "Directors" paid, to stop the action.
All in all it was a really fun meeting and I got the distinct impression that the Chairman doesn't like HUISA very much. (Oh no now I'll never get to wear that Bull outfit!!!).

Members Meeting - 18th October 1997

A very well attended Members Meeting (there must have been 100+), was held at the Richmond Place Club prior to the Southport game. Much of the meeting was taken up with discussion of the proposed scheme and as I have already said the vote against was unanimous.

Also present at the meeting were Alistair McHarg and Ian Griffiths who are two members of the "5 Herefordshire Businessmen". They informed the meeting for the reasons for their interest in the Club and what they were trying to do to save it. They are not in support of the Bulls 1100 scheme. They answered questions from HUISA members and made clear their preference for staying at Edgar Street, whilst admitting that if the business case was strong enough, they could be persuaded to relocate to another site. They do not think that the Grafton site is a starter and told the meeting that they found it interesting that Robin Sly had been on to them, trying to sell both his stake in Grafton and shares in the Football Club (both offers, politely declined). They also made it clear that if they do gain control of the Club they would look to get the fans involved as much as possible, indeed they would have to reply on the fans considerably, whilst they attempt to put the Club back on an even keel. I believe the meeting was also unanimous in the view that this help would be forthcoming.

Both Alistair and Ian answered a number of questions from HUISA members, unfortunately I am unable to print all the views they expressed for a number of reasons. Lets just say it was very positive! And of course you should have been there!!!

Other points from the meeting are as follows:

We have arranged a meeting with Chief Inspector Suzette Davenport for Monday 3rd November, at 7pm (at Hereford Police Station). She has agreed to meet a group of about 6 or 7. According to Andy Graham's notes from the last but one Members Meeting, Elaine, Mike, Les, Phil, Jolyon, Sarah and Heather volunteered to attend on behalf of HUISA. Would they contact me to confirm that they are still available/interested. Subjects for discussion, will include, Cheltenham KO Time, supporters treatment at Away games and Keith Hall. If you have any other subjects you would like us to discuss with the Police, then please let me know.
The HUISA Constitution circulated with the last Newsletter was agreed. If new members want a copy then please let me know. And nobody picked up the bit about Scum Fans!!!
In accordance with the Constitution, we now need to elect Officials and Committee Members. Ideally a good number of these should live in or be based in Hereford itself. If HUISA is to flourish it will need a strong active set of Officials and Committee Members, so please come forward. In accordance with the Constitution, all nominations will need to be proposed and seconded, by a HUISA member. With Membership forever increasing, this should not be difficult! I would hope that we can put the new structure in place at the next members meeting (see below).

Date of Next Members Meeting: Saturday 8th November 1997 (Yeovil Town - H). 12.00pm in the Richmond Place Club on Edgar Street as per usual (thanks Mike).

Save Our Football Team Collection: The SOFT Collection raised �96 and some strange foreign coins! My thanks to all those who helped on the day - it was a magnificent effort by all concerned. Thanks also to my missus who did most of the running around during the week, to get it organized (as I was poorly).

Social Evening - Llandrindod Wells: A fantastic evening and those of you who missed it, really did lose out on a good time. Personal favourite for me was seeing Billy Bollox murdering the Karaoke machine. At the last count however we raised �90 on the night and particular thanks go to all those who gave so generously, to make it such a great success. On half of HUISA I should like to thank Big Phil, Little Jan and Sadie, whose efforts gave us all a night to remember. Oh yes and to all of those of you who contributed to the collection, that led to my appearance in front of the microphone singing the internationally famous hit "Playing Football with Palace", I would just like to say - I will get my own back!!

HUISA Funds: These stand at a very healthy �00, including the sums mentioned above and a donation of �0 from Sally, Mary and Heather of the Ledbury Supporters Club. I have to say however that donations from individual HUISA members had all but dried up, prior to the meeting on 18th October and there remains a significant proportion of members, who have not made any contribution to our funds. If you are one of them (including you Copper) how about putting it right before the next Newsletter is issued. We are all in this together, don't forget.

Membership Fees: These have been paid by some 98 members only. Membership is currently 178. This is the last Newsletter that will be sent to Members who have not paid their Membership Fee. With numbers booming, we simply cannot afford to do so. Cheques made payable to HUISA can be sent to: Mike "GFB" Quarrell, 17 Bowbrook Grange, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY3 8XT. If you are not sure whether you have paid or not, then please contact me.

HUISA Expenditure: As the players have been paid up to date (18th October), GT has asked us to hold onto the money we have raised and not make any payments to players, for the moment. We are however looking into the idea suggested by Jeremy Woolfe, to open an account at a Petrol Station in Hereford, to allow the players to fill up their cars whenever they come to training and on match days (rather conveniently one of our new members owns/runs his own Petrol Station, in Hereford!!). GT also asked us to pay for the overnight stay at Sittingbourne. Initially the Club thought that the FA would pick up the tab, but the rules have changed and unless the home Club agrees (and the money comes out of the gate, so this is unlikely), it is virtually impossible to get the money. Basically Torquay would have to be playing Carlisle, before the FA would allow it! Without HUISA funds, the Team would have had to travel down on the day and given the importance of the game, we have agreed to meet the cost (approx. �0).

As we are not paying anything to the players at this stage, we have also implemented an idea put forward by Mike Worthing that HUISA send a bouquet of flowers to the players wives/girlfriends (one only!) as a small token of the fans appreciation, and our support for them, in what have obviously been difficult time, for the families as well. I trust that HUISA members will agree with this expenditure, which has cost approx. �0.

Allowing for the Spalding Match Balls we have also agreed to purchase, this will leave HUISA with funds of approx. �00 (including Membership fees of �5).

Southport Demonstration: A truly magnificent response from fans and HUISA members. It was never expected that PH would come and face us but our message got home load and clear. The media coverage was also excellent and will help heap and keep the pressure on the Board. PH has threatened legal action against those responsible for circulating the leaflets, claiming they were libellous. We look forward to seeing him in court and the opportunity to cross-examine him!!! To keep the pressure on however, we believe that there should be another demonstration after the Yeovil game. Please come and join us, get others to do so - but don't forget it must be PEACEFUL.

Legal Assistance: Not directly connected with the above but it did remind me. HUISA could do with some access to (preferably free or very cheap) legal advice on a number of issues (e.g. commercial law), and also perhaps some auditing expertise. If any member(s) would be able to help with this, then please get in touch as soon as possible (we might let you off making a donation!!).

Lottery Syndicate: Only 5 returns so far. If the response doesn't pick up then we may lose this idea - which would be a great shame in my view.

Bulmers: Steve Harries got HUISA �0 out of Bulmers. Well done Steve.

Membership Cards: These will be handed out at the Members Meeting on 8th November, simply because we haven't had the time to fill them in yet!

Travel to Sittingbourne: HUISA has written to the FA and "606" (although I still think Mellor is a Cult) to complain at the Referee's attitude over the Kick Off time for Saturday's game, on behalf of all those who suffered on the M4! Details of their reply will be included in a future Newsletter. (My thanks go to Shogun Rob!!).

BACK THE BULLS - BACK TO SOLVENCY

MIKE "GFB" QUARRELL

HUISA CO-ORDINATOR - FOUNDED ON THE PRINCIPLE OF EATING MORE PIES THAN ANYONE ELSE!!

26th OCTOBER 1997

PS. I am sorry that this Newsletter is so long and boring, but a) there is a lot going on and b) my brain hurts!


Wednesday, June 29, 2011

News Round-Up

Bristol Rovers have signed veteran striker Scott McGleish on a one year deal. The 37 year old scored 18 goals for Leyton Orient last term but was released at the end of the season. The Pirates have released midfielder Dominic Blizzard by mutual consent. The former Watford trainee, who the Bulls once tried to sign on loan, had 12 months left on his deal but has been largely ignored by the changing management at the Memorial Ground over the past 12 months.

MK Dons have rejected a bid from Peterboro for former Bulls loanee Stephen Gleeson. Former Bulls midfielder Jake Sedgemore has signed for Evo-Stik Premier side Chasetown after spending last season at Jimmy Quinn's Nantwich. Accrington have signed defender Danny Coid following his release from Blackpool. The 29 year old played over 250 games for the Seasiders but made only one League appearance in the last two years and was sent out on loan to Rotherham last term.

Stockport are on the verge of being sold to a local solicitor. Tony Evans runs a firm of ambulance chasers with a base on Merseyside and is expected to complete a majority buyout next week. Shrewsbury are reported to be in talks with Accrington striker Terry Gornell. The 21 year old would cost the Shrews a fee, and would be their second Accrington signing of the week.

Swindon have appointed Italian Dominic Doardo as their new goalkeeper coach. The 36 year old is a former Italian u21 international with a series of Serie B and C sides in his history.


Fleets 20/1 For Top Scorer

Bulls striker Stuart Fleetwood is joint-ninth in the bookies' list for Top Scorer this season.

Skybet are the first to offer odds and give the price on the 18 goal frontman, with Delroy Facey a 100/1 shot. Matt Tubbs is the 4/1 favourite ahead of Adam Le Fondre and Neil Harris.

In the seasonal list, the Bulls are 4/1 to finish top of the bottom six in the betting. Coral are offering those odds on the Bulls finishing higher than Burton, Barnet, Cheltenham, Macclesfield, and Morecambe.


Facey looks Forward On and Off the Pitch

Hereford United's new striker, Delroy Facey, has said that he is looking forward to working with his new club.

"It’s an exciting time," Facey told the Hereford Times.

"I’ve only been down here a day - but I have got a flat and I have settled in very well."

Facey contrasted his new manager Jamie Pitman with Alan Knill whom he played for at Rotherham.

"I was at Rotherham with Alan Knill and he’s a similar sort of manager to Jamie Pitman - he’s young and enthusiastic.

"If Jamie Pitman can continue his form, I am sure that he can step up through the leagues."

Meanwhile 31 year old Facey has also mentioned life away from Edgar Street

"I knew Hereford wasn’t a big place but I am told it’s a very nice place and I am looking forward to seeing the sights."

The full interview will be published in tomorrow's Hereford Times.


Players Back In Training

The Bulls are back in training today, with 15 contracted players reported to be back at Edgar Street.

The 15 includes transfer listed pair Sean Canham and Janos Kovacs, while Dan Connor is back in training after regaining his fitness at the end of last season. The squad has less than two weeks training before the 2011/12 pre-season starts at Ludlow Town. They will then leave for a short break in Spain before returning to England for five more matches before the season starts at Southend.

A number of trialists are expected to swell the numbers, but details on any names are being kept quiet at present. New boy Delroy Facey told the official site that he was looking forward to working with Stuart Fleetwood: "I've watched Fleets over the years and he's a natural goalscorer. If I can help him score more goals then good, and if I can put a few in myself then even better."

A full video interview with Facey will be on Bulls Player later.


Crewe looking at Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey is on trial with Crewe with the aim of getting back into league football after several seasons in the wilderness.

The 6ft 5in former Hereford United loanee impressed Crewe manager Dario Gradi before being released by former manager Steve Holland.

"Matt asked if he could come in on trial, knowing I need a centre half who can head the ball, and he can certainly do that," said Gradi as reported by the Crewe Chronicle.

"I would’ve liked to have kept him a bit longer (when he was released) because he’s outstanding in the air and a super lad.

"He’s had a couple years’ experience now, and had an outstanding game for Northwich against Charlton.

"If he can reach that level again he could be of some use for us."

Bailey joined the Bulls on loan from Crewe in late 2005. He made five appearances and scored one goal whilst at Edgar Street.


News Round-Up

Bradford have added Nottm Forest youngster Nialle Rodney to their list of trialists. The 20 year old striker had a three game loan spell at Burton last term. Gillingham have lost the services of midfielder Andy Barcham after he opted for a move to Scunthorpe on a two year deal. The 24 year old spent three years with the Gills.

Port Vale have lost the services of defender Ritchie Sutton after he opted to join Mansfield with the ongoing uncertainty at Vale Park blamed for his move. The 25 year old has spent most of his career in non-league. Dagenham have signed winger Medy Elito on a two year deal after his release by Colchester. The 20 year old had a ten game loan with the Daggers last season, as well as a stint at Cheltenham.

Barnet have changed Paul Fairclough's job title to Director of International Development. He will now be responsible for forging links with foreign sides with a view to swapping youth players. Swindon have signed Italian defender Alberto Comazzi on a two year deal. The 32 year old has spent most of his career in the Italian lower leagues.

Rotherham will get no fee for midfielder Nicky Law after he agreed a move to Motherwell. Cheltenham are to wear a ruby-coloured kit to celebrate their 125th anniversary. They are also negotiating a move of their training facilities to Hartpury College after Forest Green quit the site citing a lack of 'quality grass pitches'. Notts County boss Martin Allen has signed his own son, Charlie, from Dagenham. The 19 year old is yet to make a first team appearance for the Daggers.

Northampton have named David Lee as assistant to manager Gary Johnson. The 41 year old former Chelsea and England u21 player spent last season as Bristol City's chief scout. AFC Wimbledon are reported to have agreed a £50,000 deal to sell midfielder Steven Gregory to Bournemouth. Accrington have offered former Premier League striker Francis Jeffers the chance to train with the club. He is a friend of assistant boss Jimmy Bell but is likely to be out of their price range.

At the rate they're going Crawley will be playing six up front after confirming the signing of Macclesfield striker Tyrone Barnett for an undisclosed fee. He joins John Akinde and Wesley Thomas as newcomers to the Red Devil's front line, with Matt Tubbs and their existing forwards still at the club. Former Bulls keeper George Wood has left his coaching role at Swindon, with Paulo Di Canio looking to bring in his own man.

Luton have confirmed interest in Grimsby's former Bulls striker Alan Connell. The 28 year old scored 25 goals for the Mariners in his first season there. Northampton have confirmed the signing of Stockport midfielder Paul Turnbull on a two year deal. The 22 year old made his debut as a 16 year old for the Hatters and has become a regular over the past three years.

Dagenham have confirmed the sale of winger Danny Green to Charlton for a fee believed to be £300,000. Bristol Rovers have signed released Gillingham keeper Lance Cronin Macclesfield have signed striker Ben Tomlinson from Worksop Town for an undisclosed five-figure fee. The 21 year old scored 29 times for the Evo-Stik Premier side last term after starting as a trainee with Rotherham.


Birthday Boys – John Layton and Barry Silkman

John Layton is Hereford born and followed in his late father's footsteps by joining Hereford United as a player. During his career at Edgar Street he made 200 appearances as The Bulls climbed to the old Division 2 (now Championship). After hanging up his boots, John turned to coaching and managed at Edgar Street prior to Graham Turner's arrival. Later, John went on to coach the Pakistan national side as well as holding positions in New Zealand, and The Maldives. John holds a UEFA "A" License and celebrates his 60th birthday today.

Barry Silkman joined Hereford United from Barnet as a typical seventies curly-haired (permed?) winger in 1974. He spent a couple of seasons at The Street before spells at Palace, Plymouth, Man City, QPR and a host of others before eventually becoming a players agent with his own management company.  Agent Silkman is 59 today.



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Million Pennies Day Postponed

The Million Pennies Day due to have taken place at Edgar Street on Saturday July 9th has been postponed.

The decision has been taken as the organisers don't think they will have reached their target in time.

However Hereford United have agreed to continue to back the idea and the 'day' should go ahead in due time.

The Million Pennies Campaign was set up following a meeting of maths teachers from Herefordshire Primary Schools led by Will Davies from Burghill.

The idea is for the children to collect as many pennies as possible and then lay then side by side on the Edgar Street pitch.

The money raised will be split between St. Michael’s Hospice, Hereford and a forces charity The Operational Casualties Fund.


Parking Around Edgar Street Likely to Cost More

Herefordshire Council are expected to increase parking charges around Edgar Street in the near future.

Currently the council say they need to make savings of £10.3m to balance this year's budget and increasing parking charges is an easy option.

The increases could be approved as early as this Thursday when there is a council cabinet meeting.

The cost of parking in Merton Meadow, which is next to the football ground, has remained at the current level for the last three years.

There is also a proposal to introduce a pay on exit scheme to some car parks.

Should this be introduced at Merton Meadow it is likely to have the effect of delaying supporters leaving the car park after Hereford United games.


McGorry Becomes Shrimps Perfromance Director

Former Bulls midfielder Brian McGorry has been named as Morecambe's first Performance Director to work with new boss Jim Bentley.

Since retiring from playing, 41 year old McGorry has become a personal trainer and will be responsible for player nutrition and psychology. Bentley told the Shrimps official site:

"Brian is one of the most intelligent men I have ever met in football and has a wide range of skills that will help us behind the scenes. He has skills in areas such as training methods, nutrition, psychology and communication and will be someone the players will really respect."

McGorry, who played with Bentley at Telford, was part of the Bulls side relegated from the Football League after being a late addition that season. He played one full season before moving on to Torquay.


McPhee Signs For Gulls

Bulls target Chris McPhee has signed for Torquay on a two year deal.

The 28 year old left Kidderminster earlier in the summer and was reluctant to move from his Devon base. Boss Martin Ling told the Gulls' official site:

"Kidderminster wanted him to stay and he has had other offers from league clubs. Where we come into play is that he is from Newton Abbot."

The Bulls made a cash bid for McPhee in January, only for the player to reject the move in favour of his family life. He has had a previous spell at Torquay, starting only 11 games of the 06/07 season.


Pitman To Delay Coach Decision

After originally planning to name a replacement for Dave Kevan in time for the start of pre-season training tomorrow, Jamie Pitman has told Bulls Player he will take his time to get the right appointment.

He told BP: "We're going to hold a few interviews this week, but we're not going to rush into anything. We want to make sure it's right, we need consistency and continuity, and ultimately we need someone who's going to stick around longer than the previous two."

Meanwhile, both the home and away matches against Shrewsbury this season are expected to be switched to 1pm kick-offs after discussions between the clubs.


Fleets Speaks To The Elastico

Football website The Elastico has interviewed Stuart Fleetwood about his early career:

As a result of your great season, you moved to League 1 outfit Charlton, but never played a league game for the club. What went wrong there so early into a three year deal?

When I moved to Charlton they were a Championship team who were relegated in my first season there! I was out on loan when Pardew was sacked and therefore didn’t get the chance to play towards the end of the season, when a few players were being given opportunities! Then, in my second season, I was told that I would mainly be a substitute and I wanted to play regularly, so opted to go out on loan again for the season. Come the third season and I realised I wouldn’t play, so I was sold to Hereford.

You are now back at Hereford once more. What is it about the club that persuaded you to make the return?

Obviously, I know the club well and have family and friends here so coming back was easy! The security of a 2 year deal was attractive and it wasn’t a hard decision to make!

The full interview, where he talks about his time at Cardiff and Forest Green, can be seen here.


News Round-Up

Swindon are trialling striker Leon Knight, and midfielder Oliver Risser and Ibrahim Atiku. Knight has been playing in Ireland with Rushden demanding a fee from an English side. Namibian Risser and Ghanian Atiku have been playing in various European leagues. Port Vale have signed striker Ben Williamson and midfielder Ryan Burge. Both were products of Glenn Hoddle's Academy side, with Williamson signing from Bournemouth and Burge costing an undisclosed fee from Doncaster.

Accrington striker Terry Gornell is a target of Inverness. The 21 year old is out of contract and would not net Stanley a fee if he moved to the SPL. Ex-Bull Chris Hargreaves has opened a sportswear shop in Sidmouth. He will combine running the store with his duties coaching Exeter's u16 side. Torquay are reported to be chasing defender Brian Saah and midfielder Craig Easton. Both played for Martin Ling at Leyton Orient with Saah being released by Cambridge and Easton stalling over a new deal at Southend.

Over 500 Plymouth fans attended a meeting last night with the club's Administrator and Peter Ridsdale. They confirmed that Truro chairman Kevin Heaney is the cash behind the preferred bidders despite earlier claims he was only an advisor. Bradford have confirmed the name of a fifth trialist currently training with the club. Bermudan striker Nahki Wells was released by Carlisle at the end of the season after just three appearances.

Swindon midfielder Jonathan Douglas has turned down a new contract with the club and will sign for Brentford instead. Sheff Weds want ex-Bull Michael McIndoe with Doncaster, Barnsley, and Huddersfield also reported to be interested. The BBC are reporting that Glenn Hoddle's Academy side has agreed a link-up with Conf North side Hyde FC.

Crewe boss Dario Gradi says striker Byron Moore 'seems to have vanished' with him yet to respond to the club's offer of a new two year deal. The Railwaymen have former Bulls loanee Mat Bailey training with the club. He asked to come back to Gresty Road to help him train as he is without a club. Morecambe goalkeeper coach Steve McIlhargey is to also become Fleetwood's keeper coach. He has denied claims he had quit the Shrimps to take up the new role.

Bristol Rovers target Jamie Cureton has signed for Leyton Orient instead. Shrewsbury have signed Accrington defender Joe Jacobson on a two year deal. The 24 year old had been offered a new deal by Stanley but moves on a free transfer. Torquay have signed 20 year old defender Daniel Leadbitter. The former Newcastle trainee is yet to make his first team debut. The Gulls have also confirmed the signing of former loanee Joe Oastler on a two year deal.

Scunthorpe have confirmed the signing of Accrington midfielder Jimmy Ryan on a two year deal. The fee will be decided by a tribunal, with the 22 year old having spent three years at the Crown Ground. Aldershot have brought in Matt Gray and Ashley Bayes as coaches at the club. Gray has spent the last four years at Eastleigh, while veteran keeper Bayes will continue playing for Basingstoke in Conf South.


Monday, June 27, 2011

HUISA's Fifth Newsletter From 1997

From the archives BN continues its series featuring the first HUISA newsletters from 1997. Here's letter number five written in late September.

Welcome to yet another tale of woe. Smile though your heart is breaking..........

A particular welcome to all those who have joined HUISA in recent weeks. Membership is now a very healthy 130 and rising on a daily basis. If you know anybody out there who hasn't joined yet, but who loves the Club, tell them to contact us!!

SHARES: HUISA has received an offer from 2 of its members (who wish to remain anonymous at this point) to bid for these shares and to meet the costs in full. Whilst the shares would need to be held in their company's name and not HUISA's, they have promised to consult the association on any decision affecting the Club, that requires shareholders involvement. In addition they have promised to give HUISA first option to purchase the shares, should they decide to sell them at a later date. I believe this to be a fair offer. If any member objects to this approach, would they please let me or any other co-ordinator know ASAP.

Liaison Committee

The latest Liaison Committee meeting with Graham Turner took place at Edgar Street on 11th September. Whatever you might think of GT as a manager, few could criticise him for ducking his responsibilities to the fans. I can think of many a manager (including those that we have had in the recent past) who would not have wanted to sit and talk, direct to fans, after the start we have made to the season. That said the following is a summary of the issues discussed:

GT said that we needed two or three experienced players as a matter of some urgency. Agana is expected to be out for 6-8 weeks and his first priority therefore was a striker, as Grayson and Foster have shown that they are not the "ideal" partnership up front. At the time he said that he saw no chance of getting someone in before the Northwich game; Milner only became available on Friday! He has spoken to Darren Beckford, but he appears to be going to Rushden and Diamonds (they've obviously rumbled the Donkey).

Beyond that, he was looking to get an experienced keeper in, which given that 6 from 11 goals were directly attributable to GK error prior to Northwich (now 7 from 13), hardly came as surprising news. GT was at a loss to explain the "loss of form" of both keepers so far this season. Whilst neither DeBont nor Macca, have looked world beaters in the past, I cannot them making the sort of basic errors we have seen so far this season, at least not on such a consistent basis. If I were them I'd start looking at the Situations Vacant column! Charles West who had such a good game at Gloucester pre-season, is not to be offered a contract; GT says simply that he's not good enough at present. Whilst not given that much to do, Mark Gayle, on loan from Crewe, (see below) looked much more the part against Kettering.

GT is also looking for an experienced Midfield player and Centre Half, but is having trouble prising players away from other clubs so early in the season, even when they are now in the first team. He has also given Telford the 7 days notice required, before he can approach their 20 year old non-contract centre half, James Bentley. An ex Man City "player", GT has likened him to Nigel Pearson and is hopeful that he will sign.

The new players, will take GT further over the "football budget" he has been set by the Board, but he is not being restricted in his actions as yet! The obvious conclusion is however that the peripheral squad members, particularly those who do not have contracts for the season, will be on their way in the near future. GT told us that Cook and Warner are now prepared to sign contracts, but that he is not!

The main part of the meeting however was devoted to Team performances so far this season. GT was quizzed on motivation, commitment, tactics and the use of substitutes. On the first two he could only say that he and his backroom staff were working as hard as they could, on these aspects with the players. He does not believe that they lack either motivation or commitment, but did call into question the character of some of them, when they cross the white line on a Saturday. He accepted that a number had "hidden" in some of the games to date, although he suggested that this might be because we had so often been chasing the game from early on (back to the GK errors). The players have been in several times for extra training on Sundays!

On tactics he made it clear that he was telling the players to play it on the floor unless in trouble at the back, when a visit to Row Z is called for. He showed us several examples on video and in charts he had prepared, of what the Team had practised doing in training and what exactly happen on the pitch. Some are either incredibly stupid or let fear get the better of them! We informed him that Brian McGorry and Jamie Pitman had presented different versions of his tactical requirements, at the Hayes game and he promised to speak to Jamie!

We also referred to the abuse given to the fans by Hargreaves (and others) at the Hayes game, and stated that this was, in our view, unacceptable. It was pointed out that the fans, owe the players nothing, and given the support shown this and indeed every other season, this it is very much a case of the reverse being true. GT agreed and said he would speak to the players concerned.

It was further pointed out to him also that his personal support had suffered from the poor showing so far this season. We estimated that having been at about 95% before the start of the season, it was now down to about 50%. He was asked whether he would consider going if the fans turned against him completely. His reply was that if he could see a change in fortunes over say 2-3 weeks he might try to "dog it out". As soon as he felt he could not get through to the players and that the fans no longer wanted him at the Club, he would go, without being pushed.

One final thing from the meeting. The Club has cancelled its BUPA medical insurance for the players, which was costing �k per year. Its now pay as you go (so don't expect to see Tony James back here again) and the Surgeons at the Nuffield Hospital are even giving us reduced rates to help the Club, which warrants them an honourable mention in despatches I think.

Next Liaison Committee Meeting: Monday 6th October 1997. Especially so Andy Boyle can have an evening off from the Ante Natal Classes. As before if you want us to raise any issues with GT, just contact any co-ordinator.

MEMBERS MEETING - 13th September 1997

Held before the Northwich game, the attendance was a disappointing 30+. HUISA is an association for its members, but it needs its members to get off their bums and get involved. So unless you've got a letter from your mum, we expect to see you next time! The following is a quick summary of the main points. (All those there, got the gist of the Liaison meeting only two days after it had happened!).

Letter to Peter Hill: PH has responded to the letter we sent him following the first members meeting. He says we can go to Morecambe and nobody at the Club has said anything derogatory about the fans (Bill Adamson has however already admitted saying "something" in a telephone conversation with me). He blames the Police entirely for the cock up over the Cheltenham KO time and refuses to acknowledge our request for compensation for season ticket holders (sorry to shock you with that). He will reconsider the position of the Fans representative to the Board of Directors, when hell freezes over and he won't give Keith Hall his job back because the Police and Adamson won't let him. All in all a very worthwhile exercise. Oh yes he did like our idea about the Herefordshire Senior Cup and promised to be nicer to sponsors in future. I have put a fuller response to the letter in Talking Bull, to show people that HUISA is active and as a means of encouraging new members to join us.

Hereford Times: The extent of their sponsorship with the Club is a princely �00. No wonder they didn't give the figure in their response to our letter.

The 5 Herefordshire Businessmen: I had a meeting with Alistair McHarg, on 11th September. There are no Jack Walkers, amongst the group, but they are all passionate and committed to the Club. They don't like what has been happening and want to get involved, to put things right. They see this taking at least 5 years (its taken us 20 to get here, so I think that's probably fair). They remain to be convinced on re-location and have seen sight of no business plan which supports the line taken by the current Board. They want to involve fans, repair relations with the local business community and get the local authority behind the Club (this sounds awfully familiar to me - isn't it what the fans have been saying for years???). They want up to 9 people on the Board with no one individual serving for more than three, including the Chairman (new blood/new ideas and all that). They want to re-instate the Supporters Club and have income generation plans for that and the Carlsberg Suite.

I wish they were Jack Walker's long lost sons (all of them) but they still sound light years ahead of what we have at present.

Social Evenings: Phil Hales has organised a Social Evening (piss up) at the Bridgend Inn, Howey, Llandrindod Wells (in God's chosen country - and don't forget your passports). He has got a function room, meal, entertainment including a singer and Karaoke machine chap (well I didn't know what else to call him), all donated free of charge. The tickets cost just �50 and he is laying on a bus (cost about �4) for those who want to travel from Hereford (picking up at the Ground). GT has promised that a "Club Personality" will attend to draw the raffle. All profits from the night go to the Supporters Fund.

Please support the evening and personally I believe that Phil deserves a drink from all of us for his efforts, although I suspect that Janet would prefer it, if they were not all brought at the same time!! The date - Friday 17th October 1997 [Saturday 18 = Southport (H)]. Tickets are available from Phil or any HUISA co-ordinator.

Lottery Syndicate: Another great idea from that "One Man Crowd" (as he has been described) Billy Bollox. On the day however this was a really fun discussion and I will admit to getting somewhat confused. I think we agreed that this Newsletter would include a standing order form, for all those interested in being part of the syndicate, to complete. This is attached. Please complete the relevant sections, relating to your account (if you don't bank with Barclays cross out the "20", in first section of the sort code and insert the appropriate numbers) and sign.

We will fill in the Beneficiary Details, i.e. the Supporters Fund, on return (by end October please). We will enter the first draw, as soon as possible thereafter. Before we enter any draw however (or put your S/O forms through), we will come back to all those who return them, with a formal agreement, for all members of the syndicate to sign. (Trust me I'm a doctor).

The cost will be �33 per month and I also think we agreed that prizes from 5 balls or less would come to the Supporters Fund, but that 5 plus the bonus ball and above would be split 50/50 between HUISA and the syndicate members. I may have got this completely wrong, as I have something about a questionnaire and options written down I my notes and even a reference to the Irish Lottery. If I have, can somebody let me know. I hop this is enough for now however. For those who don't want to do a S/O, cheques are fine but they must be received before we start (and for subsequent draws) or we won't be able to play your line for that week(s).

Beating Bollox: A reminder that Billy Bollox, now runs his Matchday Quiz from the Carlsberg Suite, before every home game. So far he's made � for the Supporters Fund. Please support him - its good fun (even though I think I've yet to get a question right!) and he deserves it, for all his efforts on our behalf. Bollox plans to run a super version of his quiz before Christmas. The questions will be sent out with the next Newsletter.

Police Meeting: We have written to the Hereford Police asking for a meeting and we await their reply.

Council Meeting: Ditto!

HUISA Constitution: With the help of Pete Banks and young Gareth, we have drawn up a draft constitution for HUISA, as requested at the meeting. This is attached and is one of the reasons why the envelope, is a wee bit bulky this time. I stress that it is a draft and your comments and suggested amendments are invited. These will be discussed at the next Members meeting, where I would hope that we can agree whatever form of words, members want.

Membership Cards: God and printers willing these should be available in time for the next Members meeting.

Donation Level: I have said enough about this in past newsletters. Currently donations stand at �8.50, from 51 members (and JOB has donated his Matchday Quiz prize). Membership is 130 (as at 24/9/97). Membership fees have been received from 34 members.

HUISA cannot and will not prosper until or unless ALL members do their bit! End of sermon. I will leave it to your conscience.

This Newsletter was brought to you courtesy of the above members and their donations and fees.

Next Members Meeting: Saturday 18th October, at 12.00pm [Southport (H)]. Venue as before, The Richmond Place Club, on Edgar Street. Please try and attend.

FANS FORUM

Another successful FF was held on 18th September, at Reg's pub in Malvern. Attended by GT and about 50+ supporters, a good time was had by all. Thanks again Reg, a marvellous effort which raised �0+ on the night for the youth team. Issues to come out of the night:

Mark Gayle (ex Walsall amongst others) 6'2" keeper has been signed on loan from Crewe, initially for a month, but possibly longer. As Liverpool have been looking at him don't expect it to become permanent. DeBont has been put on the list, (would you buy him?) He was also fined for his last minute withdrawal from the Northwich Game. I don't think GT was best pleased. "Loss of Bottle" was mentioned!

If Gareth Davies does go to Crewe for the reported �0k, then we get only �, which is in any event owed to Steve "Chalky" White.

If he does decide to sign Milner, GT might need � from the supporters. If you have any ideas...... Actually HUISA may be some way toward this, after the Golf Day and Social Evening, but whether we should use the funds in this way, is open to debate. What do you think? A subject for discussion on 18th October?

GT confirmed that the Club do scout the local leagues including the League of Wales (but not the Abergavenny Thursdays Mike, 'cos they are crap). He said that if any supporter passed the name of a potential player on, the Club would take a look, so if the next Alan Shearer is playing for your pub/school/prison side please let him know!!

We are probably going to stick with 442 for the rest of the season. When Norts is fit again, he may well end up being McGorry's midfield partner.

The scouts are still looking at Hargreaves, but they're not sure he's the right man to take them on their Easter Camp (sorry to those who heard that joke in 1975).

Foster was not the nominated penalty taker for the Northwich game. Grayson was. Both have been bollocked. Grayson will take the penalties from now on.

We asked GT for a FF with the players. Three or four (probably) from a list of Brough/Hargreaves/ Norts/McGorry/Agana and Grayson. With Foster taking the penalties. This has now been arranged for Monday 13th October in the Carlsberg Suite, at 7.30pm. Questions as before to any co-ordinator. (I will not be phoning you!!).

Bulmers: Steve Harris has been working on George Thomas and we may have some good news in the near future. Before anybody gets carried away with the idea that they are about to pump millions in - don't. But we may get some small support for HUISA, which is at least a start. Thanks for your efforts Steve.

Yet Another Property Developer: HUISA has been approached by one David Williams, who also has relocation plans, for the Club. His are based on a site at Rotherwas and include (require) the relocation of the Cattle Market, as well as the Football Club (not the same site). It is good to know that there are other options out there and that HUISA is being recognised, as representing the fans interests. It is fair to say however that Mr Williams plans, are some way off completion and require a considerable amount of further work on his part. He has agreed however to keep HUISA informed of developments, which of course, we will pass onto all members as soon as we get them.

And Finally (as they say on News at 10): The majority of HUISA members will have received correspondence from Meadowender, criticising me for certain actions undertaken, on behalf of the Association. I do not intend to respond to them in this Newsletter, (to save on photocopying costs!), but as he has also seen fit to publish them in Talking Bull, I have been compelled to put my side of the argument, in a counter article (over 700 fans buy and read TB). I apologise to HUISA members for dragging them and the Association into this rather pointless bickering, but I do not believe that my actions, which were undertaken on behalf of the Association and together with the other co-ordinators, warranted the response and level of personal abuse it has generated, from Meadowender.


BACK THE BULLS - BACK TO THE LEAGUE
MIKE "GFB" QUARRELL

HUISA CO-ORDINATOR AND PERSONALITY CULT

24th SEPTEMBER 1997

STOP PRESS.....STOP PRESS.....STOP PRESS.....STOP PRESS.....STOP PRESS.....

Golf Day: Stand up Richard Hemmings. Thanks to his efforts, the Golf Day was a great success and raised approximately, �0 for the Supporters Fund. Final figures and a full list of sponsors who have helped HUISA on this occasion, will be included in the next Newsletter.

Balls to Turner (that's what I say!): GT has asked whether HUISA will consider purchasing 20 of the Spalding Match Balls the Club are required to use this season. Apparently, and not to put too fine a point on it, they are crap and don't last anything like as long through training, as did the Mitre balls, the Club used last year. They absorb water and go out of shape very quickly (sounds familiar!) Price? About � each, so the total cost will be about �0. If any member has an objection to HUISA using its funds for this, then please let us know ASAP!

GFB (still a cult)

26th September 1997


News Round-Up

Bradford are trialling former Leeds forward Tom Elliot, and midfielders Paddy Lacey (Sheff Weds), Scott Brown (Clydebank), and Steve Arau (Wolfsburg). Accrington defender Phil Edwards has turned down a new deal with the club to sign for Stevenage. The 25 year old will move on a free transfer after over 200 games for Stanley.

The Football League have elected Leeds' Shaun Harvey and Carlisle's John Nixon to their board. Barnet's Tony Kleanthous remains as the only League Two representative on the eight man board, with two from League One and three from the Championship. Gillingham assistant boss Ian Hendon has defended his club's pre-season planning after the Gills announced 14 friendlies over the next six weeks.

Former Shrewsbury loanee defender Mat Sadler is reported to have rejected a permanent move to the Shrews in favour of Dean Smith's Walsall, signing a one year deal. Kettering say they have agreed terms on a lease on Rushden's Nene Park ground. They plan to play a handful of first team games at their current Rockingham Road base until the lease runs out in two years, but it will mostly be used for reserve and youth matches.

Southend have switched five home matches to Friday nights, including both Cheltenham's and Shrewsbury's trips to Roots Hall. The Bulls had a Friday trip to Essex last season. For their return to the Conference, Lincoln will charge £2 more than the Bulls for matchday entry. Earlybird prices will match the Bulls with Season Ticket prices also more expensive.

AFC Wimbledon have signed striker Charles Ademeno. The 22 year old had an injury-plagued time at Grimsby and has signed a contract 'that reflects his recent injury record'. Also joining the Wombles is former Brentford youngster Chris Bush, who spent time on loan at Kingsmeadow last term. Bristol Rovers have named Carl Emberson as their new goalkeeper coach and are expected to sign former Gillingham keeper Lance Cronin to be their new no.2 stopper. Their move for striker Jamie Cureton is in jeopardy after Cureton told the press he wanted a move to Colchester.


Sponsorship Details at Edgar Street

As expected, Hereford United have released details of sponsorship and advertising deals for the forthcoming season.

In essence prices will remain as last season with player sponsorship at £300 plus VAT. Bulls News have already agreed to continue to sponsor striker Stuart Fleetwood.

Deals for advertising boards are available throughout the perimeter of the ground. The club are expected to take down boards that are not currently being paid for this week, so there will be a few spots in prominent positions on offer.

BN will continue to help the club by keeping its board which was first put up last season.

The club have confirmed that they are to introduce a new 'corporate partner' offer aimed at local business. For £750 a game can be sponsored with additional publicity in the match programme as well as other benefits.

More details on the OS. Better still contact the club on 0844 276 1939 and strike a deal especially if interested in matchday sponsorship.


Sunday, June 26, 2011

Meadow End hope to Sponsor Player

Hereford United online fans forum "The Meadow End", set up nearly 12 months ago and open to every single Hereford United supporter of any age, is to sponsor a player for the 2011-12 season. "The Meadow End" (TME) was founded back in August 2010 and has become popular with United supporters locally, nationally and internationally, with membership continuing to rise and word spreading of its existence.

The idea of player sponsorship was put forward by an existing TME member, and has been overwhelmingly supported by other members who have agreed in principle to share the cost of sponsorship.

Now TME is intertested to hear from United supporters who wish to contribute to the Scheme which will inevitably reduce the individual commitments towards the cost. A 'Roll of Honour' will be posted on TME listing all those who have contributed.

That individual commitment certainly won't exceed £20 and could be as little as £5 or £10 depending on the number of people joining the scheme. Those members who wish to contribute will, over the next week or two, vote on which player they want to sponsor. So, TME needs you to come forward now.

If you haven't yet signed up to TME, it is a free to join and takes only a few minutes. All United fans are free to join and the forum is strictly monitored both in content and language. The forum is address is www.themeadowend.lefora.com

Enquiries can be posted to 'admin10' once you are signed up and a member of TME


The Fourth HUISA Newsletter

Continuing BN's lookback at Hereford United's first few months in the Conference, here's the fourth HUISA newsletter from that era published at the end of August 1997.

Welcome to the latest HUISA newsletter. After Welling, I felt like sending it out on black edged paper!

SHARES:

HUISA has been offered a potential opportunity to acquire a significant share holding in the Club. I am not able to give any more detail at this time, but it would entail an outlay of up to �. if there are any members who might be interested in this as a joint venture, would they please let me know soonest. The alternative might well be Cosworth Developments getting their hands on them!

LIAISON COMMITTEE:

The latest liaison committee meeting with Graham Turner took place at Edgar Street on 12th August. Whilst it was a relatively quiet meeting, which I put down to PST (Pre-Season Tension), the following issues were discussed.

Player Update:

Hargreaves - Barnet somewhat surprisingly have not followed up their interest. Leyton Orient have also made an enquiry and GT quoted them a "clear" fee of �k and has heard no more! The haircut is on the list at his own request by the way, just in case he tries to tell you different (as he did with me). If he does go, he will be replaced according to GT (How How I hear you ask!!).

Cook and Warner. Reading between the lines, I get the impression that GT may be thinking of cutting his losses with these two and spending the money saved on someone who can actually play.

He is still undecided on Charles West. The consensus around the table was that he should offer him a contract. Given the performances of our keepers so far, we may see him in action sooner rather than later!

The Linton Brown saga seems to have gone cold, as Swansea have reneged on their initial offer, to pay up his contract. Their don't appear to be any other "striker" irons in the fire at the moment and it may be just that Scouser has done enough to convince GT that their is less urgency than he thought. Personally I still think the squad lacks cover in this vital area and would love to see a further addition. GT is �k over his "players budget" already however and this is obviously a factor.

Mackenzie has signed a one month contract designed essentially to prove his fitness. If he comes through this OK he will be offered a longer term deal.

Our Championship Squad is therefore: DeBont, Mackenzie (non-contract), West (probable), Norts, Matthewson, Brough, Walker, Rodgerson, Fishlock, Pitman, Mahon, McGorry, Hargreaves (sort of), Ian Foster, Jordan, Grayson and Agana. Plus Cook and Warner.

We are also allowed 5 Loan Players through the season as we were in the FL.

Bonuses: The players will get no bonus payments when they are outside the top 5 Conference positions, not much when 4th or 5th, with the cash primarily generated when they are in one of the top 3 places. HUFC get �k for winning the Conference, � for coming second. So ten grand it is!

England (Semi Professional) Squad: Don't laugh but apparently the players are now eligible for the England Semi Pro Team. I can hear it now - HARGREAVES FOR ENGLAND!

Commercial Whatevertheyarecallingit: The Club's advert for a young and thrusting person to sort out the Commercial Department has not met with a tremendous response. Whoever they get in, clearly has their work cut out. For example, the reason we had a 32 page programme for the Welling game (and not 48) was that 16 pages of advertising space that they thought had been sold, had not! Reiterating the plea that GT made in his opening programme notes, try and support those companies that do help the Bulls and if you do, tell them why you are doing it!

Open Day: A clear profit of over �0 was made. The intention is to make this a regular pre-season event but with proper organisation and publicity.

FA Cup: We definitely enter at the 4th Qualifying Round, despite what the ever efficient and supportive Hereford Times has to say!

Away Kit: Problems with the production are blamed for the delay in the availability of the new "Andy (3-0) Graham" designed, away kit. It is estimated that they will be available in early September (hands up if you have heard that one before). Yet another commercial cock up.

Brighton Shirts: Would those members who ordered one of these shirts and who has not yet collected/paid for it, please do so, as soon as possible. If not, they will go for re-sale!

Next Meeting: Thursday 11th September 1997. Any points you want raising, just let any of the co-ordinators know.

FANS FORUM: The attendance at the Fans Forum was a little disappointing (I estimated only about 100 people turned up) given the popular call to get Peter Hill in front of the Fans. The lack of questions submitted in advance, by HUISA Members was also surprising, as I would have thought that their was much to tackle or beloved Chairman on. The net result was that we did not put him on the spot as much as perhaps we should have and frankly for him to have got the support, (including a round of applause at one stage) he did on the night, was somewhat bizarre, particularly as some of his statements were in direct "contradiction", to information we had been given by GT at the previous Forum. Quite the biggest surprise of the night however was when he revealed that he had just �k invested in the Club (with �k of that, as a bank guarantee). There were clearly some at the Forum who thought this was adequate: for a man of his (alleged) means and stated "love" of the Club, I cannot agree. The search must continue to find an individual or a Consortium who is/are willing to risk a little bit more.

Jane Simmons' performance at the Forum has been described variously as everything from reasonably impressive to insipid. For myself, I resent her applying the old Robin Sly tactic of blaming the fans for everything and throwing any difficult question back at us with the line, "well what would you do". She outlined her commercial experience at great length, although this seemed to be mostly in the public and voluntary sector, which is of course, light years away from raising funds on a commercial basis. Perhaps most telling is the fact that she admitted to being on the Board for 3 years, without influencing the commercial direction of the Club. Moreover she has been responsible since early summer for this area and yet no major initiatives have been implemented or are seemingly planned at the present time. I can't say that this gives me a warm feeling for the prospects of our commercial operation in the immediate future. And the Leisure ZZZZone continues to resemble a disaster area!

New Board Members: Peter Hill indicated that he is in talks with a group of 5 Herefordshire Businessmen who are "considering his offer" to join the Board. He would not be drawn on their names, although HUISA understands that the group does include Graham Rivers and Mark Ellis. According to our beloved Chairman however, the group do not want to invest any money in the Club and are not prepared to provide any bank guarantees; what they are offering is the provision of their extensive commercial expertise to the Board. It is difficult to know exactly how much of the full story we were given at the Forum, and whilst "commercial expertise" is clearly necessary, some investment (more than �k that is!!) is also essential, if we are to get out and stay out of the Conference. Rumours persist that "the Consortium" are interested in doing just that, but not in direct support of the current regime. If this is the case, I for one, would not blame them. At the Forum, Peter Hill made it clear that he takes no responsibility for what has happened to the Club and has no intention of stepping down as Chairman. In those circumstances it is not difficult to see why others should be reluctant to invest their money!

Relocation: It is essentially shit or bust according to PH. The terms of the deal with the BS Group are such that if relocation has not taken place (or is imminent) within 2 years, then we will be required to pay back the �0k, and will go bankrupt. There are no alternative strategies available to the Board (I don't think they have been looking too hard) and (according to PH) the redevelopment of Edgar Street is a non-started for financial reasons. He quoted a figure of �5m to replace the Meadow End and Blackfriar Street Terraces, with seating, always assuming that we get the necessary planning permission. PH did confirm that Robin Fry would not be involved with the Club or its relocation plans in the future. He may of course make his money, if the further development plans for the Grafton site become a reality (as will PH of course), in his Cosworth Developments guise (so that's all right then isn't it?).

Both PH and JS reiterated the plea (made by RF at the first Forum of the Summer) for fans to write to the Council, voicing their support for the Club's plans. PH said that HUISA should have organised a petition over the summer (it obviously never occurred to him to ask his Fans Representative on the Board to do so!). If however the majority of members feel that this is something HUISA should be doing, then we will. Personally, my answer to PH on the night stands; until and unless he can give us assurances about where the profits to be generated by relocation will go, we are effectively being asked to back him, the current Board and RF, blindly. They do not deserve that degree of trust, in my view. And to ask others to sign a petition, in such circumstances, would clearly be something of a nonsense. I wouldn't sign one - would you?? Even were we to get guarantees, about the money, given his record, PH suffers a lack of credibility, as the man to use it, in the Club's best interests! [This last bit, is of course no more than a personal view:] TELL US WHAT YOU THINK and we will act on the majority view.

HUISA MEMBERS MEETING: Thanks to all those who attended on the 16th. Particular thanks to Mike Worthing, who made the arrangements. Points of interest are as follows:

Structure: The existing HUISA co-ordinators were elected to continue with their existing roles. Details and contact numbers will be on the Membership Cards to be issued in due course. Nick Brade was elected to act as "Entertainment/Events Secretary" (and a fine volunteer he was to!) and any ideas you may have for future fund raising and other social events should be passed to him in the first instance.

Fans Forum: Reg has organised a Forum with GT for 18th September at the Cross Keys Inn, Belmont Road, Malvern starting at 8.00pm. All HUISA members are welcome to attend (what was it Reg, free drinks all round!!). If you want to put your questions in advance (bearing in mind what is said above), please feel free to contact me. HUISA will look to put on a further Forum in October.

Away Travel: In the light of statements made by the Secretary of Morecambe FC, alleging that HUFC has warned them that its away support is potentially troublesome, (as a result of which they were considering banned us from the game), HUISA has written to PH, asking him to investigate and take action against those responsible for the slur and/or to put Morecambe right. We await his formal reply but have already has assurances (direct from PH, no less), that such comments were made and consequently we will not be banned. Also included in the letter were complaints about the change in the Cheltenham KO time (we have asked for compensation for those season ticket holders forced to miss the match) and the treatment of players' sponsors at the end of the season, a renewed request for the Board to re-consider the position of the Fans representative and a suggestion for a change in the format of the Herefordshire Senior Cup (I hope we didn't miss anything). As and when we get his formal response, the details will be passed onto members.

Hereford Times: A letter of complaint regarding the offensive "Opinion" Column (in the issue prior to the Welling game) has been sent to the Editor. It was pointed out, that if the HT did as much as the fans to help the Club, then we might not be in the position we're in!

Lottery Syndicate: An excellent idea from Billy Bollox, which would see say 25 HUISA lines run each draw, with the profits going into the Supporters Fund. There was much support for the idea on the day, which now needs to be translated into a firm commitment to pay the money (�33 per month) by D/D or S/O into the Supporters Fund. If this materialises we will draw up a formal agreement, so that I can't go on a world cruise when the numbers come up. Or was that what you really wanted after all?

Beating Bollox: Not quite as much fun as it sounds, but almost. Billy Bollox will run a matchday quiz from the Carlsberg Suite, before every home game. Answer just 7 questions correctly and you could win �or 10% of the takings, (whichever is the greater), for just 50p a go. How can you resist? All profits to the Supporters Fund (not Bollox)!

Membership Fee: A "voluntary" HUISA membership fee of � for those aged 18 or over (plus Job) was agreed at the meeting. Don't ask me to explain the voluntary bit, just pay up or we send the boys round! The membership fee will be used to meet administrative expenses, such as the production and mailing of the Newsletter and my weekly trip to the local brothel. Would the two chaps who left their fees at the meeting, let me know their names please (and I know it wasn't you Turvey)!

Golf Day: There remain a few spaces left for the above event. Two person teams, to play a 4 ball better ball, with a meal and all for �. Bargain! Hole sponsorship is still available for a minimum of � and a few volunteers to help on the day would also be welcome. All profits to the Supporters Fund. Contact me or Richard Hemmings for further details and/or an entry form.

Date of Next HUISA Members Meeting: 13th September 1997 at 12.00pm. (Before the Northwich Victoria (H) game). Venue as before - the Richmond Place Club, on Edgar Street. Any issues you want to raise please let me know.

HUISA DONATIONS: �0 from 41 members. Plus � in membership fees. HUISA Membership currently stands at 110. Work it out for yourself. (Sorry to Pam for disparaging comments about the Welsh last time - it must be the Scots). HUISA needs all its members to do their bit to help! We are going to have T-shirts made with the slogan "Hello. My name's Peter Hill" on them and they will be sent to all 69 of you with the next Newsletter!

DOVER TRIP: Not much interest as yet. Going once, going twice - cancelled (if nobody replies to this last call)!

XMAS DINNER/DANCE: Nick Brade is now working on this. Further details as and when available.

DONKEY T-SHIRTS: We have had a very reasonable offer for the production of the shirts and 4 volunteers so far. With 9 more we can plan for the big day out at Rushden. Isn't it good to see that Donkey has hit such a rich vein of scoring so early in the season. If you don't want to wear a T-shirt, take a yellow cloth with you to wave as he is caught offside - again!

HAYES TOWN (A): The Club has forwarded a warning letter they have received from a Bulls fan, who lives near the ground. Apparently before a recent game with Halifax, there were pitched battles outside a pub called (appropriately enough) "The Tumbler". One Halifax fan was stabbed and 3 required hospital treatment, after being attacked with a baseball bat! The newspaper article did say however, "that all 3 were thought to have made it to the second have of the game"! Thanks for the warning. Please take care next Saturday!

CENTRAL TV: We wrote and complained about their coverage after the Hednesford game. Tim Russon has written back and apologised, (sort of), promising as much coverage as possible in the future. I think it might help if we kept on at them, through the season. If anybody wants the address, just let me know.


BACK THE BULLS - BACK TO THE LEAGUE

MIKE "GFB" QUARRELL

HUISA CO-ORDINATOR AND FAT BASTARD TO THE GM VAUXHALL CONFERENCE

30th AUGUST 1997

PS Statto, I hope you notice the reduction in swearing in this edition, but f***ing Hargreaves deserves all he gets in my opinion!