Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

O'Kelly Helps Smith

Former Bulls coach Richard O'Kelly has linked up with former Bulls captain Dean Smith at Walsall.

Smith's Walsall side are currently in League One's relegation zone, and O'Kelly has come in on a voluntary basis to help out his former boot boy. Smith told the Express and Star: “Richard’s a friend of mine and is in on a voluntary basis, he was working at Doncaster but he’s not been doing anything so I asked if he could come in, have a look and lend a hand.

“He’s a great man, full of enthusiasm and is enjoying it. He came in on Monday and has been working with us. He’s taken a bit of coaching and it’s allowed me to stand back a bit.

“I’ve been trying to get some loan signings in so it’s allowed me to concentrate on that a little bit more and watch a bit of training. When we go onto the tactical stuff, I can have my say then.

“It definitely takes a little bit of the pressure off and he’s a good bloke – even if he still owes me £10 from when I used to clean his boots!”

Smith guided the Saddlers away from the foot of the table after coming in as manager in January, but finds his cash-strapped side still in the mire this term. O'Kelly came in for their FA Cup win over Exeter, and has also assisted Smith for their subsequent goalless draw with Stevenage last weekend.