Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Turner didn't know about Joan

Many years ago a member of the RAF had a girl friend called Joan Turner.

At the time he was stationed near Hereford.

Five or so years ago he started tracking down friends from the past and as Joan was the daughter of the then secretary of Hereford United he was 'delighted' to find out that Graham Turner was now the manager.

What an idiot I was though. I wrote to him asking if he knew what had happened to Joan Turner. He wrote a short note back saying that he had no idea what I was on about! Oops ... what a fool I had been. Graham Turner was a professional football manager, nothing to do with the family I once knew.

Oh well, never one to give up the chase I contacted Hereford United's historian, via the internet. This chap certainly knew all about the early 1950s at the club. He said that Joan had married, in Hereford, around 1959, give or take a year. That was a start. I worked through microfiche records of marriages in the main library in Edinburgh and found her married name. Then, via census records on 192.com I found their current address.


They are now in touch.

Footnote: Fred Turner was appointed secretary of Hereford United in 1947