Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tretton Quits After Injury Battle

Andy Tretton is to quit the professional game after a torrid time with injury, according to the Hereford Journal.

Tretton left Edgar Street after three years, and just short of 100 games, for a two year deal at Accrington in 2005 after Graham Turner offered the Shrewsbury-based player only a one year contract.

But Tretton took nearly seven months to make his Accrington debut after picking up a knee injury in pre-season, and managed just seven appearances in two years with his last first team action almost a year ago.

He made a couple of recent reserve appearances after a series of operations, but the injury was restrictive. Tretton told the paper: "I found after the couple of games I played that I couldn't do anything for a few days afterwards. The decision I've made is not a snap one - it's been coming for some time. It's best for me and my family to take stock as I've been banging my head against a wall."

Tretton, 30, made over 200 senior appearances mainly with the Bulls and Shrewsbury after originally coming through the youth ranks at Derby. He is planning a return to the game part-time in the future, but is due to take a course at Shrewsbury College as he prepares for life outside football.