Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Monday, May 22, 2006

Williams - just pleased to have been involved

Andy Williams is still only 19 but has to be Hereford United's most improved player of the season.

Williams scored 14 goals this season including two in the play-offs.

"It's been a great season," Williams told the Worcester News. "I'm just pleased to have been involved.

"Some of the lads have waited a very long time for moments like this. Simon Travis has been waiting until he is 29 to get back into the Football League.

"I'm only 19 and I've got a lot of years ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to next season.

"I've been quite fortunate in my first full season that I'm with a great bunch of players. There's a lot of talent within the squad."

Now proud to be a Hereford United player, Williams said it hadn't always been easy to follow the Bulls

"When I was a bit younger I watched Hereford games, but I was never a loyal supporter because I was playing football on the same day on Saturday mornings and afternoons.

"But I always looked out for their results. Now I'm proud to play for Hereford. A lot of my friends are season-ticket holders, so I'm really pleased for them."

He spoke about Saturday's game.

"It was a cracking game - I suppose a good one for neutrals. But for Hereford fans, I'm sure they would have wanted us to win 3-0 or 4-0.

"We always seem to make it hard for ourselves. Obviously, it's always hard to come back in a game like that, but we've done a lot of that this season - we've always fought back and got back into games. That shows the character we've got at the club."

"I could not really miss my goal after Adam (Stansfield) put it on a plate for me.

"All the lads were tremendous. Tamika was awesome. He carried the team forward, driving everybody on.

"The whole back-line has been outstanding this season -- it's the reason we got to the play-offs. Then we've got two excellent goalkeepers.

"Our midfield was brilliant and they have been all season.

"It's probably not the best midfield we've had in terms of passing it around, but they work ever so hard. They fight for everything and drive us on."