Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Friday, March 24, 2006

Brady happy at Cambridge

Jon Brady has told the Cambridge Evening News that he is vying for a new contract at Cambridge United.

The Australian left Hereford United a couple of months ago on a free transfer but feels he hasn't yet been allowed to show his true potential.

"Especially in the last three weeks, I've been asked to be more defensive, and it's probably the same for Courtney (Pitt, on the opposite side), but you've got to do your job for the team.

"It has been frustrating for myself and Courtney as we've felt like we've had to hold back.

"But we're not getting the ball higher up the pitch where we can attack a full-back and take them on.

"I think if we did get the ball in those positions, the quality of myself and Courtney would show through."

Brady reminded the paper that he could have played rugby league in his homeland of New South Wales but opted for the round ball. He was picked for the Australia under-17 team when just 15 and was spotted whilst touring in England.

"Brentford wanted to take me on, but I had to go back and finish my schooling and I came back to England when I was 17," said Brady.

Amidst the clubs he played for were Barnet, Swansea, Mjolner in Norway, then Hayes. He moved to Rushden & Diamonds in 1998 and helped them to the Conference title in 2001.

After a season in League football, he moved on to Woking and Chester before spending last term at Stevenage.

Last summer he moved to Edgar Street but the constant trek from his home in Northamptonshire became too much.

"I was doing a five-hour round trip every day and it was more about getting my life back because it wasn't healthy doing so much travelling.

"I'm really enjoying it here at Cambridge and I'm hoping that I can still be here next season.

"People are playing for their futures, but if you're a winner, hopefully the gaffer and Spearo (assistant manager Tony Spearing) will see that and the fans as well. My attitude is to do the best I can and win at all costs. I think most players should feel the same."