Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Home Against Farsley Celtic On Saturday March 23rd Kick-Off 3.00pm

Friday, April 29, 2005

Stamp knows about Play-offs

Stevenage striker Darryn Stamp who joined the club in January from Chester, has experience of winning in the play-offs.

"When I was at Scunthorpe, we won the play-offs for the old Third Division. I came on for the last 20 minutes at Wembley when we beat Leyton Orient," Stamp told the Comet in a preview to Monday's game with Hereford United.

"The Conference is getting better all the time; you only have to look at Doncaster and Yeovil when they have gone up recently. The club is geared for the League - and not just for League Two but League One as well."

"I don't know whether it's better to have the first leg at home or not.

"The preference might be to have the second leg at home but hopefully we'll get a good result on Monday to set us up nicely."

Anthony Elding, Stamp's strike partner added: "It was a great feeling to make the play-offs when we heard that Morecambe had drawn at Tamworth and I'm still buzzing about it.

"Fans were asking for memorabilia - shirts, shin pads or anything. But we've still got matches left to play, so we couldn't give them anything.

"It was nice to get the goal but it wasn't about me, it was about the team.

"I'd rather play Hereford than any of the other teams in the play-offs.

"We beat them 1-0 at their place earlier this season. They came here and snuck a late goal but we did well against them both times.

"I felt like a bit-part player when I won the Conference with Boston but this season I really feel like I've contributed and my goals have been important.

"Since I left Boston I've wanted to get back to the Football League and hopefully we can do it this season."