Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Thursday, January 24, 2002


Davies Wants To Play at Edgar Street

EX-Swindon Town defender Gareth Davies, who retired from professional football last week with a knee injury, has said he would love to re-join Hereford United, his first club.

The twenty-eight year old played for Reading and Crystal Palace and would relish a move back to Edgar Street. "At the moment I am looking at all the options, but I may be able to train once a week and play at the weekends," he told the Hereford Times. "I am looking to get into coaching, perhaps to become a manager of a youth team, but I would love to play for Hereford United again - even if it was a one-off match. I support Hereford United and my time with them was priceless. It would be a dream come true if I were to play at Edgar Street again."

Davies joined Hereford at fifteen as a youth trainee before playing ninety five games in the first team, being capped for Wales under-21 and moving to Crystal Palace for £120,000 in 1995.

"After my third knee operation I said to myself that if something happened and my knee swelled up again, I would have to give up playing professionally," said Davies. "And, when it did, I looked at my eight-month-old son Rhys and I knew that I didn't want to be in a wheelchair and unable to play with him when he grows up."

A cousin for the former Ireland and Everton player Kevin Sheedy, Davies has also been linked with Dr. Martens League club Chippenham Town. He added: "At the moment, I am looking at the options, but I don't want people to feel sorry for me. I have had 10 years as a professional footballer and I feel very privileged to have had that."

AFTER finally receiving £18,000 from Swindon Town for their FA Cup second round receipts, Hereford United are challenging the amount paid.

The club have asked to see Swindon's documentation from the game and the investigating FA competitions officer Steve Clark told the Hereford Times: "I understand that Hereford have received most of the money, and we are now dealing with a few queries. As far as I am aware about £18,000 has been paid, although there has been a query from Hereford about some of the payments, which is quite normal."

Initially, the FA investigated the matter when Swindon didn't pay money within the fourteen day deadline - the Wiltshire side claimed the cheque had been posted. Swindon have reported debts of £10 million.

Meanwhile, the official website (www.herefordunited.co.uk) have revealed that all tickets for the sportsmans dinner on February 7th have now been allocated/sold.

HUISA have confirmed that they will no longer enter discussions with Chelverton director Simon Morgan.

The Hereford United Independent Supporters' Association have said that they will deal with the property company, but not Morgan.

In a recent edition of Bullseye, HUISA chairman Kevin Wargen wrote: "I have to tell supporters of a letter I received from Simon Morgan, of Chelverton, who basically accused HUISA members of spreading misinformation and ultimately the destruction of the club. HUISA members spend a lot of time trying to talk to all concerned regarding development. We also raise money for the club, run away travel, paint the ground in the summer and do whatever to keep the club from folding. I feel so upset at this accusation by Morgan that I will not sit around a table with him. Indeed if it means he is in charge of relocation, I would resign. I am not above criticism from anyone - supporters or directors - but I will not be accused of trying to finish the club that I love and would do whatever I can to make it survive. I am happy to know that other people on the committee feel the same as me over the letter."

HUISA met Herefordshire Council leader Terry James on Tuesday and will release an official statement next week regarding the relocation/redevelopment situation.

HEREFORD United go to Southport on Saturday with manager Phil Robinson calling for a more positive performance, kick off 3pm.

The Nationwide Conference trip to Haig Avenue could see Hereford extend their unbeaten run to eight games after crushing Margate 3-0 at Edgar Street last weekend. Robinson told the Hereford Times: "We have to start looking to score a few more goals away and hopefully that will start this Saturday.

"We have scored 23 league goals at home so far this season, but only 10 in 13 away matches. I have asked the players to be more clinical in front of goal."

Southport, in sixth, played out a goalless drew with Hereford at Edgar Street in August and have lost just three times in home league games this
season. However, they slumped at Stevenage Borough last weekend, going down 2-1 at Broadhall Way.

Former Hereford defender Chris Lane is in the Southport squad having scored four goals this season. Hereford will be without striker Gavin Williams who is serving a one-match ban, and Scott Voice is visiting a consultant this week about his long-term groin injury. Goalkeeper Scott Cooksey will be speaking to his surgeon about his wrist injury, so Matt Baker should continue in goal if he recovers from illness. Paul Parry should be fit, despite missing training earlier this week with a calf injury, whilst Danny Davidson hopes to shake off an ankle problem. Available for the Bulls is defender Jon Hill, the ex-Edgar Street YTS player who has signed on non-contract forms from Pegasus Juniors.

Southport manager Phil Wilson could give a debut to former Blackburn Rovers, Cardiff City and Stalybridge Celtic left-midfielder Andy Scott, who has joined today.